Thursday, March 05, 2009

Too much information

Finished mostly read More Information than You Require by John Hodgman (a minor TV personality don'chaknow). I listened to The Areas of My Expertise after he gave it away for free on iTunes. And enjoyed it immensely. I suspect this one might also be better to listen to. The book is a little all over the place when it comes to layout. Who knew that Only Revolutions would be good training for future endeavors? The humor is pretty consistent and the "facts" are, well, I guess "helpful". Overall it was definitely worth perusing and would make a seriously good coffee table/bathroom book. Best read in small doses.

Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon Hale (and others) was also amusing. I got a little tired of the spot the fairy tale mechanic, but the story was fun and the art is nice. It's a twist on, wait for it, Rapunzel that gives a few nods here and there to various versions of the traditional story while still telling something new. Best if you're familiar with fairy tales before reading.

The first book in the 39 Clues series by Rick Riordan (man I've read a lot lately...) is also fun. I don't suspect I'll get into the ARG they've got set up for it, but I do plan on reading the following books. Probably. There's a lot I want to read. And not enough time to read it all in. Anyway, this follows your typical brother/sister team as they try to follow clues that lead to treasure/world changing such and such, yadda yadda yadda. It's well told and quick to read and is fun. And that's really what matters in a series like this. And there are puzzles to solve if you want.

The "Commentary: the Musical" track on Dr Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog is funny. I don't really have anything else to say about it. Oh, the Evil League of Evil Applications were also good. So, yeah, there's stuff worth checking out on the DVD. Aside from the show, which is still awesome.

The Geek World is waiting with baited breath to see if the film version of Watchmen will vindicate them in some fashion or be chalked up as yet another notch in the "You guys are so weird" column. I'm voting the latter. I kind of hope the movie is good (the book is great natch) but I'm really not holding my breath.

Oddly, the kids really got into that first season of Psych. The girls really seem to like mysteries. I think they've read a little Nancy Drew, but probably not as much as one would expect.

And Girl Scout cookies have indeed invaded the house. Evil things that they are.

No comments: