Thursday, March 12, 2009

Short stories and shorter thoughts

I've no idea what I've read since that last post. And it's not been that long. I do know that I started The Cthulhu Cycle a collection of 13 short stories playing around with the Cthulhu mythos in some form or another. Count Magnus by M R James was quite good (and is in the collection as an inspiration - not a straight Cthulhu tale). Apparently he's well known for his ghost stories. I shall have to track down some more of his stories.

Short stories are still probably my favorite sort of story. The author is forced to pare things down in such a way that it's pure distilled story goodness. I suspect that's also why I like essays so much when it comes to non-fiction. It's a little funny, I find the internet and modern media really has done a number on my reading attention span. I really prefer things in short bursts any more. tl;dr indeed... I still enjoy novels and find time to read them, but if it's something that's presented as an article type format, it better be pretty straight to the point. Not got the patience for too much wandering in that sort of thing any more.

I've also started Gene Wolfe's An Evil Guest. I'm finding it rather readable.

Sister-in-law and family welcomed their new baby into the world the other day. A little girl that looks remarkably like her Dad. Poor soul.

Daylight Savings Time is still an evil scourge that must be stopped at all possible costs. I'm far too tired to battle it properly which is how I suspect it maintains its existence. We're all too tired to do anything about it. Curse you Benjamin Franklin.

Oh and littlest sis is apparently in town now. I'm sure games will be played and siblings/relatives will be mocked lovingly cherished. (This is in no way directed at favorite niece. We never tell stories about her. Ever.)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Since favorite neice has been grounded there are no stories. Have fun with Jen around. glad the S-in-L found a name. I'll call her Olivia since there is a Kaitlyn in the family already. Take care, be kind.