Thursday, August 04, 2011

What passes for normal

I read MT Anderson's Feed by mistake. Sort of. I meant to read it some time ago, but this time I thought I was really picking up Mira Grant's Feed. It was not terrible as mistakes go. Anderson's book is a dystopic look at kids that are constantly hooked up to the internet via implant. It constantly talks to them, pushes products at them, plays entertainment in the background - that sort of thing. A group of friends starts off on a trip to the Moon (it sucks) and while there they get hacked and are unable to connect for a bit. It's fixed and their lives go mostly back to normal. The main character met a girl while there and the story follows the two of them as they get to know each other and things start to happen to her feed. It's a terribly depressing book for lots of reasons. While I was reading it I was under the mistaken impression that a sequel was due soon (that'd be Grant's book) and so I thought there was some hope for the ending. There isn't. (To my knowledge) So, it's certainly worth reading, but bear in mind that the ending is the end. Everything must go indeed.

I've also been going through Robert Asprin's Myth books again. Still hilarious. I'm actually at the point in the series where I'm reading new material. Yay.

If you listen closely you can hear the approaching school year. It's just under two weeks away. Lovely wife is trying to decide just what her days will be like. All the kids will now be in school all day. Such a milestone. Here's to hoping she doesn't go crazy and start filling the house with pies. Or cats. Well, cats might be ok...

Lovely wife and I have been making our way through the co-op Portal 2 missions. So much fun. So devious. We are actually pretty close to saving science. With portals. There needs to be more Portal. I have heard rumors that Glados' voice actress was recording more dialog. Let's hope new content arrives soon.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Heather can spend her time doing crafts, scrapbooking, volunteering at the school. I can't wait till all kids are in school so I can do more of what I want to do.