Thursday, June 10, 2010

In which I try to recap lots of things badly

So. I suppose a lot has happened since last I posted anything of any note. We have had several family members visit and depart, watched some shows, read some books, played some games, gone on a hike, eaten out at far too many restaurants - the list goes on. I'll try to keep this to the highlights.

We had a grand time with Dad while he was here. We managed to let him have some fun this time and didn't force him to fix anything or work on any projects. Instead we went on the aforementioned hike (very short) to a local waterfall and a few other places of interest. We checked out the new Dinosaur museum down by BYU as well. It was a little trippy heading back to the old stomping grounds. I haven't been there for a while and it was interesting to see how things had changed. The museum was nice for a small free place. They had some pretty neat completed skeletons.

We also tried our hand at frisbee golf. And promptly lost the driver frisbee on the 2nd hole. The course itself was not exactly the most amazing thing, unless you like lots of overgrown weeds and a bmx park in the middle... So very strange. I am still intrigued by this concept of frisbee golf though, we may have to see if we can find another course.

Prince of Persia the film was a pretty good time. I rather liked it. It had the same subtle humor from the video game series and some of the same stunts. Lovely wife would have liked some more acrobatics and I would have liked a castle with some saw blades in the walls and spike traps, but for the most part it was good summer fun.

Avatar was surprisingly not bad. I almost regret not seeing it in 3D. If only so I'd have something to compare all the lousy 3D that's out now to. The story certainly didn't tread any new ground (Pocahontas says hi), but the effects were pretty good and it's certainly a solid enough story regardless of originality.

Dad picked up 10 Days in Asia while he was out here. It's basically Racko with geography. Certainly interesting along with frustrating. We had fun playing that and introducing Dad to Pitchcar and a couple others. Didn't get a chance to show him Galaxy Trucker or Tobago this go round. Next time.

I picked up Cthulhu Dice mostly for the die. The game itself is pretty quick and alright as a filler, but the die is cool. I have insidious plans to create my own little game using the die. And possibly the counters. Mwa ha ha ha ha.

Lovely wife's cousin was in town and we had a fun visit with her as well. And I discovered that fried pickles from Texas Roadhouse are awesome. I don't care how awful they are for you I love them. I will have to find a recipe. (Speaking of recipes Dad made us a real nice spicy Eggplant Parmesan. So good.)

Books. Yikes. I suppose if nothing else I should mention that I finished off Rick Riordan's newest, The Red Pyramid. This time he's tackling Egyptian mythology instead of Greek. It's fun. Not quite up there with the Percy Jackson stuff, but fun. I think part of it is that I'm not sure I'm quite as interested in the overarching storyline in the Red Pyramid like I was in the Percy Jackson stuff. The minute to minute plot details are fun though. And it's really nice to see a lesser known mythology get the spotlight.

Other things have certainly happened. Kids are out of school causing mischief. The girls have had one Day Camp set of adventures already and some more are coming up. I'm pretty sure they plan on trying to live at the pool as well. McK decided that bikes are for crashing and got some pretty good road rash...

At any rate, better wind this up. Congrats go out to little sis on the news that it's a boy. Although her naming choices still leave a lot to be desired...

No comments: