Thursday, February 11, 2010

In which I talk about the few things that I remember

We've seen a few movies and I've read a few books since the last time I had anything to say. But I can't remember what they were. So here are the highlights.

Paranormal Activity is awesome. I would actually love to have a conversation with K about this movie. It's sort of similar to one of the Exorcist movies we watched when we were younger and we had a conversation about how she didn't like scary movies that could happen. Now I know that this wasn't a true story, but I suspect there are people that have weird things happen to them. They did a really nice job of ratcheting up the tension in this movie. It was far better than the Blair Witch Project, that's for sure. So watch this one. In the dark. With the sound up. At night. Heh.

Malice is mostly book, part graphic novel. It follows a couple kids who discover that the world written about in a comic book is real. And not a nice place. And one of their friends has been killed there. So one of them decides to check it out and see what he can do to stop it. I enjoyed reading it and look forward to seeing what happens next. It's mostly on the fluff end of YA fiction, but it was fun to read, so that's worth something.

Memories of Murder is a movie about one of the first serial killers (if not the first) in South Korea. It was directed by the guy that did The Host which was a nice little monster movie a few years ago. This one deals with how the police force was completely unprepared for dealing with a serial killer. It's at turns sad, funny and horrifying. It was definitely interesting to watch.

Ping Pong was an amusing little Japanese film based on a manga series. It wasn't quite as funny as I'd hoped it would be and there wasn't quite as much Ping Pong as I'd hoped there'd be. Still it was funny and there is Ping Pong. Worth watching on a lazy Saturday when you want to kill some time.

I finished the audiobook version of Dune Messiah. Mostly because I always meant to read more of the series and decided to let my commute contribute to that effort. It was interesting. It's one of those, "let's take the hero from the first installment and turn everything on its head this time around" type stories. Paul Atreides isn't exactly a bad guy, but he's not really the all powerful force he was in the first one. Well, that's only sort of true too. Really this time around it shows him trapped by the powers that he came into in the first book. I'm not certain I'll finish the series, but anything is possible. I think I will give the next book a try. Although I hear that one of the characters actually turns into a sandworm at some point in the series. And that sounds a little silly to me...

We picked up Tobago the other day. I've heard rumors that it will be one of the games in the running for this year's SdJ award. It's part race game and part reverse deduction game. You set up an island at the beginning (the board is made up of 3 double sided pieces that lock together and a few pieces that you can set in various places according to a couple simple rules) and then play cards to help narrow down the location of up to 4 treasures. Things like in the biggest jungle, not in sight of a palm tree and so on. Once the treasure is narrowed down to one location it's a race to see who can get to it first. The people that contributed to locating the treasure all get a share of the loot with the person claiming it getting one extra bit. There's a slight press your luck element in the claiming as each player gets to look at part of the treasure with one extra card thrown in to keep things interesting. And occasionally the treasure is cursed causing you to lose treasure. It's really not too complicated and is a lot of fun. It's not bad with 2 people, but I bet things are a lot more interesting with 3 or 4.

I suppose there are other things that have happened, but at this point I can't be bothered to remember what they were. So off with you lot, go find something interesting to do.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Loved loved LOVED Paranormal Activity! definitely watch with sound up and in the dark late at night.