Thursday, August 20, 2009

Charts and such

Ran across this the other day. I think it will surprise no one that I found it amusing and somewhat fascinating. I am surprised cleavage did not feature on the list.

Summer (as far as the school is concerned) is officially over. There has been some rejoicing in casa del 'd'. Kids aren't quite sure what to make of it. They miss the lazy days some, but also look forward to school some, so it's a bit of a draw for them. This is the last year McK will be in the same school as any of her siblings. That's a bit odd. I managed to realize yesterday that there will be one year where each of them will be in a separate school. I suspect lovely wife will enjoy that year the most. G gets ready to start preschool in a week or so. I suspect we're about to enter the next phase of lovely wife's craziness. Adjusting to empty house for a few days a week. Expect random coverage as a new feature. (Not really, as much as I like needling lovely wife, I like breathing a touch more.)

A game to put in the other column (loves, not hates) for lovely wife is San Juan. In a lot of ways it's a watered down version of Puerto Rico. It's card based and your goal is to develop a settlement by building buildings and plantations. The cards are used for everything - currency, buildings, placeholders, etc. This is actually a nice feature as there aren't too many bits involved. The game is played as a series of rounds. Each round each player will choose a role (builder, trader, producer, etc.) and all players get the option to exercise the benefit of that role. The person that chose the role gets a slight edge (usually a slightly lower cost for something, or an extra thing planted/traded, etc,) and the buildings you set up in your settlement also allow you to play with the rules some. Once someone builds their twelfth building your settlement is scored. Ultimately this is a hand management game. Which cards do you use to build things? How many cards do you keep in your hand? What kind of settlement do you build? And so on. It plays pretty well with 2 or 3, but I seem to recall really enjoying the 4 player games. It's actually a little more strategic then as the various types of cards aren't as plentiful. If you want something in the same vein but with a sci fi them on top instead of old world settlement, go for Race for the Galaxy. We might try picking that one up at some point as the letter 'r' is where we go for our San Juan fix.

I've recently been listening to the audiobook edition of Hell House by Richard Matheson. I really like haunted house stories. May have to track down the film version once I finish the book.

And that's about all I've got. It seems like we've been watching stuff, but nothing is jumping out at me. And I'm still reading stuff (almost done with Fragment), but I think most of that will keep till another post. (Oh and I still have more last lines, but I don't want to do too many of them right away.)

No comments: