Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Couple reviews

Gil's All Fright Diner is good. The Departed isn't. What you want something a little more in depth? Ingrates.

Gil's All Fright Diner is a nice horror/comedy book. Take a little Lovecraft and mix in, well, not quite Pratchett, but almost someone along those lines and there you go. It's a blast to read and I found myself laughing out loud at several points.

The Departed just left a lot to be desired. Jack Nicholson was great, but that's about it. Well and Mark Wahlberg (have I mentioned that Shooter was good?). I will admit that a good deal of my "less than impressed" comes from having seen Infernal Affairs. So a lot of the tension was missing due to knowledge of the plot, but I don't think Scorsese did all that great a job of ratcheting it up in the first place. I could go on about a few other dislikes, but I don't really feel like giving this movie that much attention.

I do want to see Infernal Affairs 2 and 3 though...

This Film is Not Yet Rated was interesting, but I only sort of agreed with it.

I suspect World War Z is up to bat next, although I really need to finish Fragile Things.

And I'm sad that Gunslinger Girl seems to have wrapped up its run on IFC.

So that should tide you lot over for a bit. I suspect there's plenty to cover coming up. Who knows. There might even be cute kid stories. I'm working on Graeme's zombie and Godzilla impressions.

No comments: